Monday, July 14, 2008

Love the U-pick



We did our first u-pick of the 2008 season. During our visit in 2002, we did a few (blackberries, peaches, blueberries) and made several preserves. I remember how lucky I felt to have a four year-old and a two year-old willing to pick with me or at least hang out while I picked.
Now that we live here, I am excited to add the u-pick adventure to our annual summer activity schedule. Since both Chandler and Henry have issues with bugs, I wasn't sure how they would hold up. In trying to NOT control the situation and go with the flow, I relaxed and waited to see how they would react. Much to my surprise and delight, they did great. We picked for almost 2 hours, with only a couple of bug concerns, which included me too. Actually, the fake gun shot and wild bird sounds (to scare off bugs and birds) were more of a nuisance then the actual bugs would have been.
We picked over 12 cups of raspberries (another week on the blueberries), which yielded 12 jars of jam and a batch of raspberry vinegar.

No comments: